There is support for a number of new ARM platforms with the in-development Linux 4.9 kernel. Perhaps most exciting to end-users with the ARM updates for Linux 4.9 is the mainline Raspberry Pi Zero support as well as supporting the LG Nexus 5 smartphone, among other new hardware support. Here are some of the highlights:
- ZTE ZX296718 SoC 64-bit support. The ZX296718 is used by some set-top boxes.
- The Broadcom BCM47189 and BCM53573 are supported as the first ARM SoCs with integrated 802.11ac WiFi networking.
- Renesas r8a7796 (R-Car M3-W) platform support, an automotive SoC.
- Amlogic meson-gxbb (S905) supports more drivers.
- Nextthing GR8 platform support, making use of the kernel's Allwinner code as close relatives to the A13/R8 chips.