GNU/Linux developer Arne Exton is back with a new release, and this time he managed to publish a new build of his RaspEX Linux project for Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 single-board computers.
RaspEX Build 170221 is is based on the software repositories of the Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) and Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 "Jessie" operating systems, as well as Linaro open source software for ARM SoCs. It uses the lightweight and fast LXDE desktop environment by default, along with the long-term supported Linux 4.4 kernel.
The Linux kernel version included in RaspEX Build 170221 is kernel 4.4.49-exton-v7+, which Arne Exton injected with various extra patches for better hardware support. The new release also adds the Wicd network manager and replaces Chromium with the Mozilla Firefox web browser because it offers uses better YouTube support.
- Debian-Based OSMC Linux Media Center Updated with Better Raspberry Pi Support
- Devuan GNU/Linux 1.0 "Jessie" to Support Raspberry Pi 3, Acer Chromebook Devices
- Canonical Developer Works on Bringing Snap Support to Raspberry Pi's Raspbian
- LibreELEC-Based Lakka 2.0 Officially Released with Raspberry Pi Zero W Support
- Raspberry WebKiosk 6.0 Released for Raspberry Pi, Based on Raspbian Jessie Lite
- Flint OS is a Chromium OS Build for Raspberry Pi & Firefly-RK3288 Boards