GNU/Linux developer Arne Exton is back with a new release, and this time he managed to publish a new build of his RaspEX Linux project for Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 single-board computers.
RaspEX Build 170221 is is based on the software repositories of the Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) and Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 "Jessie" operating systems, as well as Linaro open source software for ARM SoCs. It uses the lightweight and fast LXDE desktop environment by default, along with the long-term supported Linux 4.4 kernel.
The Linux kernel version included in RaspEX Build 170221 is kernel 4.4.49-exton-v7+, which Arne Exton injected with various extra patches for better hardware support. The new release also adds the Wicd network manager and replaces Chromium with the Mozilla Firefox web browser because it offers uses better YouTube support.
- Ubuntu Core Now Officially Supported for Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 (CM3)
- Raspberry Pi Foundation's Raspbian OS to Soon Be Rebased on Debian 9 "Stretch"
- NetBSD Image for Raspberry Pi Updated to Improve Raspberry Pi 3 Boot Support
- Android-Based RaspAnd Linux OS for Raspberry Pi 3 Gets Better Video Performance
- Ubuntu's Snapd Daemon Now Works Properly on Raspberry Pi and Raspberry Pi Zero
- RaspAnd OS Brings Android 7.1.2 "Nougat" and Kodi 17.3 to Raspberry Pi 3 SBCs