It's been a while since last update on the project status so it might seem as there was no progress in this area. The reality is: there is a bunch of activities happening with various levels of success. So I decided to give kind of end-of-the-year round-up of ongoing projects, plans and obstacles ARM hackers face.
First of all we tried switching default cache type from write-through to write-back type. It should have increased performance but instead opened a can of worms. Memory corruption debugging led to L2 cache driver on Pandaboard, EHCI driver code and subsequently to busdma code. Whole process took quite a few days full of hair-pulling and nagging various people and ended up in committing USB fixes and Ian Lepore's busdma patches. PL310 (L2 cache controller) driver is being tested at this very moment. Original issue (WB caches) still stands and postponed till next year.