It's been more than six months since the OpenWrt developers announced the release of the OpenWrt "Barrier Breaker" 14.07 custom firmware for routers, but today they've just informed us of the immediate availability for download of the first Release Candidate version of the upcoming OpenWrt "Chaos Calmer" 15.05 update.
According to the release notes, the biggest feature of the OpenWrt "Chaos Calmer" 15.05 RC1 release is the upgrade to the LTS (Long Term Support) Linux kernel 3.18, which should add support for new devices. Additionally, the release includes improved security features like support for jails, hardened builds, and a revised package signing architecture derived from ed25519.
- NVIDIA Tegra186/Parker/TX2 Support For Linux 4.12
- Debian-Based OSMC Linux Media Center Updated with Better Raspberry Pi Support
- Devuan GNU/Linux 1.0 "Jessie" to Support Raspberry Pi 3, Acer Chromebook Devices
- Canonical Developer Works on Bringing Snap Support to Raspberry Pi's Raspbian
- Linux Kernel 3.18.51 Released with MIPS, ARM, and CIFS Changes, Updated Drivers
- LibreELEC-Based Lakka 2.0 Officially Released with Raspberry Pi Zero W Support